M to the left E G A N

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Why I want to be a teacher...

If you would have asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up when I was younger, I doubt I would have answered teacher. However my dreams of being a ballerina ( I lack the coordination) or a doctor (I have a severe fear of blood and needles) have faded and I now pursue a new dream. I want to be a teacher. I began college as a business major, mostly because I had no idea what I really wanted to do. Halfway through my first semester I decided that I wanted to become an elementary teacher.
Why? Perhaps one of the most important reasons why I desire to become a teacher is that I have a passion for working with children. I could think of nothing better than to spend a day "at work" interacting, teaching, and essentially learning from children. I also believe that God has called me to be a teacher and has been preparing me for that occupation my entire life.
I am looking forward to getting into the classroom and experiencing what it is like to be a teacher. I am not completely sure what grade I want to teach when I begin my career. I do feel that I would be the most effective teaching students in lower grades, such as kindergarten or first. However, the grade level I wish to teach is not priority. My desire is to be in a place where I can be involved in the journey of learning with a group of young people and be able to have a front row seat as students begin to learn and discover on their own.

3 comments:

Prof. Sorenson said...

I love how you describe your day as a teacher -- interacting, teaching and learning from children. That will be so true as you create a safe learning environment for them. Although business is a great major, I'm glad that you decided to become a teacher and be involved in a "business" that changes lives which in turn changes the world!

Rachel said...

Megan!!! I really enjoyed reading about why you want to become a teacher! I know that you are going to be an excellent teacher!! I am excited to hear more about your experiences in your classroom. Keep us posted!! Love you!! :-)

Janelle said...

Megan- this is a great blog! I love hearing about your journey- what has led you to this career and the calling you know is upon your life! I know you will be an incredible teacher!! P.S: Super cute pictures on your page :)