I have always been interested in the different avenues of technology. Ever since I can remember we have always had a computer in our home. Out of my family, I was usually the one who was on the computer the most and usually was the one who could fix any problems that we were having with it. I have always been comfortable using a computer and can usually fend for myself. As far as using other sorts of technology I would consider myself to be an average user. I know how to use items such as an iPod, cell phone, and other items that society can't seem to live without these days. However, I am well aware of the fact that I don't know it all and that there is a lot left to learn.
There are many areas that I would like to improve in this semester. I would like to learn how to use the smart board and hopefully be able to use in my classroom someday. Since technology is so essential, I really want to incorporate it in my classroom and allow my students to become comfortable with technology. It would be interesting to find out ways to incorporate technology into all areas of the curriculum. Making all of these things accessible to students may be a challenge but it is so essential. Another issue that I would like to learn about is how to incorporate technology and students who have special needs. I don't know anything about this and would like to learn the most beneficial way to get students who have special needs involved in using technology.
I believe that technology belongs in the classroom. As teachers, we are supposed to be preparing our students well- and to do that I believe we need technology. Technology is such a large part of society today that we would be harming our students if we did not teach them how to use it. In addition, most children today are already familiar with technology and are able to learn better when their teachers use computer games and other technology in the classroom. I think it is really sad that most students know way more than their teachers do about technology.
It is important that teachers are aware of the NETS standards. I had never heard of them before and I found them really interesting. For students who are in pre-K through second grade, it would be interesting to have students get a pen-pal from a different country, using e-mail. This way students can learn about people from different countries while learning how to use e-mail. This will allow children to learn about multiple cultures through technology.
Pen Pals International
Another way that I could help my students meet the NETS standards for their age would be to have them do a project on a historical figure using the internet. Since this could be difficult for younger students it may be necessary to send home a newsletter and have parents help their child do research on the computer.
I think it would be really interesting to have the students practice reading on the internet with electronic books. There are some really great resources online with good children's literature. If I had a smart board in my classroom I could pull up electronic books and have students read out loud from it. This activity would familiarize students with the internet and cause them to realize how much is available on the internet and through technology.
International Children's Digital Library
There are so many great things that we can use as teachers to enhance our students' understanding of technology. I realize that I have a lot to learn about how technology can be used in the classroom but I'm looking forward to learning as much as possible.
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment