Here is the link for the video by Sylvia Martinez.
This video was really interesting to me. I found it helpful because it focused on ways to keep yourself from becoming bogged down the the endless features and tools of Web 2.0. I know that I get overwhelmed just thinking about all the possibilities, but this video gave me some helpful hints. The main message of this video stressed the importance of involving students with the process of integration technology into the classroom. As the president of the organization Generation Yes, Martinez encourages teachers to dive in to the world of technology and not to be held back because of a fear of failure. She notes that although the metaphor of digital natives and immigrants may be true, it should not be used as an excuse for teachers to refuse to get involved with technology. Students still need teachers to help them with technology, even if students are probably more capable and more comfortable with the tools.
Technology enhances the classroom experience for both teacher and student. Martinez stresses the fact that nothing will ever change in the classroom if you choose not to try new things. If a teacher starts a technology based lesson plan, there must be a specific goal in mind for there to be success in the lesson. Students can even be put in charge of organizing and monitoring one another to ensure that proper and moral policies are being followed.
This video helped me to realize that I will never be able to do it all- but that is ok! As a teacher, I can direct my students in the way that they should go and allow them to discover the wonderful tools and opportunities that lie within technology. Technology has the power to give each student a voice- whether that is through blogging, wikis, student made videos, or the like. If I am afraid to use technology, I will be keeping my students from the very thing that is pushing our society toward a bigger and better future.
For more information on Sylvia Martinez and Generation Yes you can click here....
Thursday, March 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment